Department of Mechanical Engineering
Joined: 22 October, 1995
Major Field of Specialization: Mechanical Engineering (Thermal Engineering)
Areas of Research Interest :
IC Engines, Dual Fuel Engines, Engine emissions and particulate matter emissions measurements and controls,
Alternative fuels, Waste to energy, Renewable and sustainable energy.
Name: Dr. Nirendra Nath Mustafi
Father’s Name: Late Kshitish Chandra Mustafi
Nationality: Bangladeshi by birth
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Rajshahi University of Engineering & Technology (RUET)
Tel.: +880-721-750742-3 Ext. 229
E-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Village: Badalgachi, P.O.: Badalgachi
District: Naogaon, Bangladesh
|EDUCATION||PhD: The University of Auckland, New Zealand, 2008
MSc (Engineering): Royal Institute of Technology (KTH), Sweden, 2003
BSc (Engineering): Rajshahi University of Engineering & Technology (Erstwhile BIT Rajshahi), Bangladesh,1995
|SHOLARSHIPS AND AWARDS||- Postdoctoral position in the field of ‘Vehicle power train and power management modeling and control’ in the Vehicle Center of Sustainable Mobility (VTP) Roztoky under Faculty of Mechanical Engineering at Czech Technical University in Prague (Mentor: Prof. Ing. Jan Macek) for the period of Dec 2013 to June 2015 (offer was not availed due to some unavoidable circumstances)
- SRS PhD+ Scholarship at The University of Ghent, Belgium 2012-13 (03 months)
- The University of Auckland Doctoral Completion Award 2008
- The University of Auckland International Doctoral Scholarship, 2004-2007 (PhD studies)
- Graduate Research Fund (two times) for attending two international conferences during PhD studies at The University of Auckland, 2006 & 2007
- Award for quality research poster presentation in BECA Poster Competition at The University of Auckland, 2006
- Swedish International Development Authority (SIDA) Scholarship, 2001-2003 (MSc Eng studies)
- Technical Scholarship, Board of Secondary & Intermediate Education, Rajshahi, Bangladesh,1989-1994 (undergraduate studies)
- Intermediate Scholarship (awarded due to securing the highest marks in SSC examination in Naogaon district), Board of Secondary & Intermediate Education, Rajshahi, Bangladesh,1986-1988 (higher secondary studies)
- Junior Scholarship,1984-1986 (Year 8 to Year10 studies).
|PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCES||- August 2013 to present, Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, RUET, Rajshahi, Bangladesh
- March 2013 to August 2013, Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, RUET, Rajshahi, Bangladesh
- December 2012 – February 2013, Visiting Scholar, Transport Technology Lab., Dept. of Flow, Heat and Combustion Mechanics, Ghent University, Belgium
- October 2010 – November 2012, Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, RUET, Rajshahi, Bangladesh
- April 2008 – September 2010, Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, RUET, Rajshahi, Bangladesh
- June 2004 – April 2008, PhD study, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering,The University of Auckland, New Zealand (on deputation for higher studies)
- September 2004 – September 2007, Teaching Assistantship (duties included tutoring Thermal Engineering, Engineering Mechanics; heat engines, steam boiler and heat transfer labs demonstration; marking test scripts of Thermo-fluids,Thermal Engineering courses and Year2 project reports) in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Auckland, New Zealand during the PhD studies.
- April 2003 – June 2004, Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, RUET, Rajshahi, Bangladesh
- July 2001 – March 2003, Master’s study, Dept. of Energy Technology, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden (on deputation for higher studies)
- November 1998 – June 2001, Lecturer, Department of Mechanical Engineering, RUET (former BIT Rajshahi), Rajshahi, Bangladesh
- October 1995 – October 1998, Part-time Lecturer in the Department of Mechanical Engineering, RUET (former BIT Rajshahi), Rajshahi, Bangladesh
- April 1995 – October 1995, Maintenance Engineer, Alhaj Textile Mills Ltd., Iswardi, Pabna, Bangladesh
Applied Thermodynamics I & II (ME 4701 & ME 4801)
Power Plant Engineering (ME 4709)
Heat Transfer (ME 3501 & ME 3601)
Automobile Engineering (ME 4813a)
Combustion in Internal Combustion Engines (ME 6115)
Fuels and Combustion (ME 6117)
Renewable Energy (ME 6305)
|OTHER DUTIES||- Member, CASR (committee for advanced studies and research) of RUET, Rajshahi.
- Member, Selection Board for Lecturer and Assistant Professor in Mechanical Engineering department at KUET, Khulna.
- Provost, Shahid President Ziaur Rahman Hall (Male Students’ Residence), RUET (Mar2013 to Jan 2014)
- Head, Department of Mechanical Engineering, RUET, Rajshahi (November 2010 to October 2012)
- Provost, Desh-Ratna Sheikh Hasina Hall (Female Students’ Residence), RUET (Mar 2009 to Aug 2011)
- Member, Selection Board for Appointing Lecturer and Assistant Professor in Mechanical Engineering Department, RUET (November 2010 to Nov 2012)
- Member, Academic Council (October 2010 to present)
- Member, Board of Discipline, RUET (March 2009 to January 2014)
- Member, Committee for Advanced Studies & Research (CASR) (November 2010 to October 2012)
- Chairman/Member, UG and PG Academic Committees, Mechanical Engineering Department, RUET
- Member, Committee for the Development of Central Library, RUET
- Member, Tender Evaluation Committee (TEC), Rajshahi City Corporation (November 2010 to present)
- Assistant lab-in-charge, Metrology and Testing Lab (1999-2000)
- Member of the committee for correction/addition/modifications of syllabus of several undergraduate courses of the department: Engineering Thermodynamics, Automobile Engineering, Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning, Energy Resources and Utilization courses (1999)
- Course Coordinator and Member Secretary of the committee for undergraduate studies and syllabus, Department of Mechanical Engineering (2000-2001)
- Chairman/Member, Examination Committees (moderation of semester question papers and results preparation in undergraduate level)
- Question Setter and Examiner of Pabna Textile Engineering College, Pabna.
|RESEARCH EXPERIENCE & INTERESTS||- Engine particulate matter emissions measurement and characterization
- Combustion and exhaust emissions of IC engines & dual fuel engines
- Alternative fueling (especially gaseous fuels) in engines
- Simulation analysis of SI engine performance and emissions
- Sustainable and renewable energy engineering
- Small scale independent power production
- Biomass gasification, biogas technologies and utilization
- Energy conversion, energy consumption, energy efficiency
- Study of energy systems
- Waste to energy
|OTHER INTERESTS||Conservation, music, travel, cricket, painting, walking, spirituality|
|SELECTED PUBLICATIONS||International Journals
Nirendra N, Mustafi, Robert R. Raine and Sebastian Verhelst (2013). Combustion and emissions characteristics of a dual fuel engine operated on alternative gaseous fuels. Fuel, Vol. 109, pp. 669–678.
Mustafi Nirendra N., Raine Robert R. and James Bryony (2010). Characterization of exhaust particulates from a dual fuel engine by TGA, XPS and Raman techniques. Aerosol Science and Technology, Vol. 44, No. 11, pp. 954-963.
Mustafi Nirendra N. and Raine Robert R. (2009). Electron Microscopy investigation of particulate matter from a dual fuel engine. Aerosol Science and Technology, Vol. 43, No. 9, pp. 951-960.
Mustafi Nirendra N. and Raine Robert R. (2008). Application of spark ignition engine simulation tool for alternative fuels. Transactions of the ASME, ASME Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbine and Power, Vol. 130, 012804.
Mustafi N. N., Miraglia Y. C., Raine R. R., Bansal P. K. and Elder S. T. (2006). Spark-ignition engine performance with ‘Powergas’ fuel (mixture of CO/H2): a comparison with gasoline and natural gas. Fuel, Vol. 85, pp. 1605-1612.
Nirendra Nath Mustafi, Md. Khairul Alam and Md. Shahidul Islam Islam. Design and fabrication of a model portable-type biogas digester feeding kitchen wastes. Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Mechanical Engineering, ICME 2014, BUET, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Mustafi, Nirendra N., Amin Md. Ruhul, Ahmed Md. Zakaria and Islam Md. Mayeedul. An investigation on the production of Brown gas (HHO) as an alternative automotive fuel by water electrolysis. Proceedings of International Conference on Mechanical, Industrial and Materials Engineering 2013 (ICMIME2013), (CD ROM), 1-3 November, 2013, RUET, Rajshahi, Bangladesh.
Mustafi Nirendra N., Kabir M I and Zabbar M A. Comparative analysis between battery-powered and fossil-fuel powered three-wheelers. Proceedings of International Conference on Mechanical, Industrial and Energy Engineering (CD ROM), 1-2 February, 2013, Khulna, Bangladesh.
Nirendra N Mustafi, Md. Hafizur Rahman and Mohammad Ali. Study of solid waste management of Rajshahi City Corporation and the potentials of energy recoveries from the solid wastes. Proceedings of the International Conference on Mechanical Engineering and Renewable Energy (ICMERE2011) (CD ROM), 22-24 December 2011, Chittagong, Bangladesh.
Nirendra N Mustafi, Md. Mahbubur Rahman and Aupu K Paul. Study of energy system in a rice parboiling mill. Proceedings of International Conference on Mechanical, Industrial and Energy Engineering (CD ROM), 23-24 December, 2010, Khulna, Bangladesh.
Mustafi N. N. and Raine R. R. Morphological study of the particulate matter sampled from the exhaust of a diesel engine in diesel and dual fuel modes, Proceedings of 8th International Conference on Mechanical Engineering (ICME 2009) (CD ROM), 26-28 December 2009, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Mustafi N. N. and Raine R. R. A study of the emissions from a dual fuel engine. Proceedings of the 4th BSME-ASME International Conference on Thermal Engineering (CD ROM), 27-29 December 2008, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Mustafi N. N. and Raine R. R. Dual Fueling – a sustainable way to reduce emissions from a diesel engine. Proceedings of International Congress of Environmental Research (ICER-08), 18-20 December 2008, Goa, India.
Mustafi Nirendra N. and Raine Robert R. A study of the emissions of a dual fuel engine operating with alternative gaseous fuels. SAE Technical Paper 2008, 2008-01-1394, SP-2176, SAE World Congress, Detroit, April 14-17.
Mustafi N. N., Raine R. R. and James B. Particulate emissions from a diesel engine operated with gaseous fuels. Proceeding of the conference, Chemeca 2007, Melbourne, Australia, September 23-26, 2007, 654-662.
Mustafi Nirendra N., Raine Robert R. and Bansal Pradeep K. Biogas – use in dual fuel diesel engines and particulate emissions. Proceedings of World Bioenergy 2006, Conference and Exhibition on Biomass for Energy, 30 May - 1 June, Jönköping, Sweden, 376-385.
Mustafi Nirendra N., Raine Robert R. and Bansal Pradeep K. The use of biogas in internal combustion engines: a review. ASME Paper ICES2006-1306 (CD ROM), Proceedings of ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division 2006 Spring Technical Conference, May 8-10, 2006, Aachen, Germany.
Roy Murari M. and Mustafi Nirendra N. Investigation of odorous components in the exhaust of DI diesel engines. Proceedings of International Conference on Mechanical Engineering (ICME), December 2001, Dhaka, Bangladesh, Vol. 2, pp. 31-36.
|Professor||22 October, 1995|